Monday, November 12, 2018

Packing Progress

It's a county holiday today and I am planning to use the time packing for our move.

I wish I could get back in the garage to work and sort there but it is raining yet again so that project will have to be delayed for now.

In the meantime, other than house clean up and some laundry, I think I will tackle closets. I am sorting, and eliminating stuff I don't want to move and boxing things up we can do without till we do move.

We had one other move that took place in December some years ago. It was when we first came to Georgetown and we had "professional movers" moving us.

I was pretty disappointed with how the professionals do things. I had a lot of dings and scratches on furniture and I had stuff boxed together that should have never gone in the same box, such as the bread I discovered in a box marked for dishes. Being that I thought it was the set of china I only use at holidays, I felt no rush to unpack them right away and when I did, yep, moldy bread.

I have moved quite a few times in my adult life. The number of moves is in the dozens, so I guess that qualifies me as a professional. I have learned I prefer to pack and mark the boxes myself and then let whoever we hire to load the moving truck, do the lifting and loading. That is my plan this time.

I can't help but think of some of the moves we have made over the years. Despite my best plans, something always happens.

I remember one move when hubby accidentally broke the oven door and I had to run out and buy an electric skillet and rely on it and the microwave for cooking, till we got the oven repaired.

I also remember the time we moved to the Rio Grande Valley and it had rained so much on the way, that by the time we drove the 6 hours there and started to unload, we were literally unloading in the rain, in water above our ankles!

I hope that whatever adventure happens with this move will be a minor one!

1 comment:

  1. Hiring movers is like gambling. You're likely to lose something every time. And you win if nothing gets damaged. I've hired movers in the past but I did absolutely all the packing myself. All they did was load up and put on the van. Praying everything is going just as planned with your move!

    ReplyDelete

Meal Plan

  I had a calm and pleasant Mother's Day yesterday. I hope you all did as well. I started the day making oatmeal cookies with cranberrie...