Monday, April 18, 2022

Pet Birds and Wild Birds


Well I got up this morning and started my coffee and then was going to feed our two parakeets and finch next, only to realize that we were out of their birdseed. I thought "What about the wild bird food? I wonder if I can use that?" I looked it up on the internet and it said yes they can but it's not really nutritious enough for daily feeding. "Ok, well it will work until I get to the store today."

Before feeding Maya, our finch, I separated out the big seeds and just gave her the small seeds left. I fed Kiwi and Skye the regular mix. I am watching their reactions now and Maya has her big girl pants on and she is eating, but the parakeets are just chirping back and forth (complaining to each other, I'm sure) and refusing to touch the stuff. 

Maya, our finch, was brought home with us one day from the Pet Store when we saw that she was the only bird left in the store and it was because she had "splay leg". Fearing they would feed her to the snakes we brought her home and had her checked out by a Vet that specialized in birds. He just suggested that we wrap all her perches with coach wrap so that she can get a better grip on them. We asked if she needed another finch for company, and he said that no, with us and the other birds she would be fine on her own. Her cage is in the dining room and we talk to her when we are at the table and she can hear and see the other two birds.

Skye is a female parakeet, white mostly, with a little blue on her back. She belongs to my daughter and is very sweet and trusting. She likes to knock things down in her cage. It doesn't matter what toy I put in there, it will end up picked apart and on the floor!

Kiwi is my green and yellow male parakeet. It was a little harder to gain his trust, but he is very sweet natured now. His thing is trying to keep all the little bells going in his cage at once. There is one bell in particular, a red one, that I think he is in love with. He talks to it and kisses it all the time. 

I enjoy birds a lot. As a child I had a parakeet, and Gene and I had a Macaw for quite a few years. 

I also enjoy bird watching outdoors. We have a resident woodpecker in the trees out back, an owl, that I haven't yet seen, and a plethora of nuthatches, as well as some big ol' crows and Canadian Geese that visit regularly. I haven't seen any robins yet this year but am sure they will show up soon. I also see cardinals and red winged blackbirds from time to time here. 

Happy Monday yall!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Meal Plan

  I had a calm and pleasant Mother's Day yesterday. I hope you all did as well. I started the day making oatmeal cookies with cranberrie...