Wednesday, April 13, 2022

This Week's Meals


I made pork ribs in the crockpot Monday as well as a pot of beans for supper. When it was time to serve supper I served the ribs and beans with corn. 

The ribs were really good and literally fell off the bone, so Tuesday night I chopped up the left over rib meat and we had barbecue rib sandwiches on submarine rolls with pickle and onion and potato salad for the side. 

I went to the grocery store yesterday. My Walmart does a good job of keeping things stocked; so far at least. The prices are really climbing though. It was really hard to pay $14.94 for a 60 count box of eggs! 

When I buy groceries I try to stick to basic ingredients ...vegetables, flour, sugar, oats, dry beans etc. Meat purchases are pretty much limited to chicken and pork and some ground beef. Yesterday I got a ham, some chicken, ground beef and then I found London Broil marked down and some of the really thin beef also at a reduced price.  I will use the thin beef for rouladen.

As careful as I am buying groceries, yesterday was still a bit of a sticker shock. Still, I think what I got will be good for at least a couple of weeks worth of meals.  

I have a cookbook called "Depression Era Recipes" by Patricia R. Wagner. I tried the Quick Cake recipe that called for some dates that I needed to use. It was a heavier cake, kind of like banana bread, and was really good. There is an eggless cake recipe that I want to try next week. 

Meal Plans through Saturday

Wednesday (Today) - Ham and Potato casserole, Salad

Thursday - Beef Rouladen, Noodles, Saurkraut

Friday - Turkey, Green Bean Casserole

Saturday - Tamale Pie and Salad

In closing, I just want t say that though we face higher prices at the grocery store, I am thankful we have access to food and am trying to look at it as an opportunity to try new things and be more creative. We are blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Meal Plan

  I had a calm and pleasant Mother's Day yesterday. I hope you all did as well. I started the day making oatmeal cookies with cranberrie...