Friday, April 8, 2022

Spring Time, or Is It?


Growing up in Crystal City near the Mexican border can mess with your concept of the weather seasons. 

I remember as a kid looking through the Sears Spring catalog and wondering why on earth anyone would need a "Spring jacket". Spring was very warm and sometimes downright hot. Spring meant that the mesquite trees had leafed out. 

Summer; well that just meant hot and that was the way it was for most of the year. If you were barefoot outside you were always thankful for walking on grassy yards rather than hot sidewalk. You spent as much time as you could at the river or city pool. 

In the Fall when school started, I remember a friend that always got a new Fall wardrobe for starting school. It was too hot to wear the kinds of clothes she was wearing! We just hoped the weather would be cool enough by Halloween so we wouldn't be so hot in our costumes. 

With a few exceptions, we made it through what we called Winter with just a sweater. I remember wearing shorts in December and my Dad out barbecuing for Christmas. We grew pansies in our flower garden in Winter and it wasn't until years later my Massachusetts born mother in law informed me that they were a Spring flower. 

Living in Oklahoma now, we do have four actual seasons. It's nice, but it still catches me off guard when like today we have another freeze warning and it's April! Fortunately the garden plants I have in the ground so far should weather the weather just fine.....as long as they don't blow away! 

2 comments:

  1. The wind!! It has blown hard past two days in North Texas and although the sun is warm, the wind is cold!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The wind has been crazy here too! We woke up to 37*F this morning so it didn't freeze after all. It will be a nice day to finish tilling up some more garden space.

    ReplyDelete

Meal Plan

  I had a calm and pleasant Mother's Day yesterday. I hope you all did as well. I started the day making oatmeal cookies with cranberrie...