Saturday, May 9, 2020

Alice Morse Earle and Colonial History

Some years ago I ran across a book by Alice Morse Earle called "Home Life in Colonial Days". I love history so I picked up the book and read it and was delighted with the detail of day to day life of this period that the book described. It covered everything from Colonial courtship to eating practices, to the process of making linen clothing to the "Horn Book", an early primer for childhood education. 

Alice Morse Earle is an American Historian who lived from 1851 to 1911. Her books are very detailed historical accounts about life of the Colonial period in America. You can find her books pretty much anywhere. The first book I bought was in a second hand book store.  If you use Kindle, there are some of her books that can be found inexpensively there.  

I haven't read all of her books; only about five so far, but have liked each one. I am currently reading Colonial Days in Old New York. 

Here is a list of some of her books with publishing dates:
The Sabbath in Puritan New England (1891)
China Collecting in America (1892)
Home Life in Colonial Days (1893)
Customs and Fashions in Old New England (1893)
Diary of Anna Green Winslow, A Boston School Girl of 1771 (1894)
Costume of Colonial Times (1894)
Colonial Dames and Goodwives (1895)
Margaret Winthrop (1895)
Colonial Days in Old New York (1896)
Curious Punishments of Bygone Days (1896)
In Old Naragansett: Romances and Realities (1898)
Child Life in Colonial Days (1899)
Stagecoach and Tavern Days (1900)
Old Time Gardens (1901)
Sun Dials and Roses of Yesterday (1902)
Two Centuries of Costume in America 1620-1820 (2 vol.) 1903

1 comment:

  1. It seems like we blog for a while, then we don't. I still follow you after all these years. Off of FB for a while but I'll catch you on Instagram!

    ReplyDelete

Meal Plan

  I had a calm and pleasant Mother's Day yesterday. I hope you all did as well. I started the day making oatmeal cookies with cranberrie...