Monday, October 24, 2011

Blackeyed Pea - Mushroom Soup

I tried something new this weekend with the black-eyed peas that my 3 1/2 year old grandson helped me pick. The family all really liked this recipe and so I think it is a "keeper".

First I have to say it was pure joy watching my grandson take so much interest in the garden and I was amazed to see him sit still long enough to help shell the peas! I REALLY didn't expect that!

To cook the peas, I started out pretty much as usual,

Spray 4 quart pot with cooking spray
toss in a handful of cubed ham and saute about one minute
add sorted and rinsed black eyed peas (approx 2 cups)
add 1/2 seeded jalapeno or other pepper, chopped (optional)
turn up heat to med. high and let cook till peas are tender and liquid has cooked down to about half
add salt to taste (about 1 tsp)
stir in 1 can undiluted cream of mushroom soup and cook on low heat 5 minutes, stir with whisk to make sure the mushroom soup blends well

I served the Black Eyed Peas "a la mushroom"  with a side dish of collard greens and homemade cornbread.
*Those who don't care for mushrooms but want to try something similar might use cream of potato soup. I haven't tried that but if you do, let me know how it worked!

1 comment:

  1. I never cared much for black-eyes peas, but your recipe suggests that I should at least give them another chance. Thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete

Meal Plan

  I had a calm and pleasant Mother's Day yesterday. I hope you all did as well. I started the day making oatmeal cookies with cranberrie...